We are excited to offer the next installation of our Numismatic Masters Series Auctions featuring Part II from the D.L. Hansen Collection. Dell Loy Hansen, the premier collector of our time, has set lofty goals in his quest of acquiring one of the most important and complete U.S. coin collections in private hands, rivaling Louis Eliasberg. Along the way, he has upgraded many incredible coins, as well as acquired coins that did not fit into his overall collecting goals. As a result, we are offering over 330 of those pieces in our Sunday Internet Auction #1043. There are numerous highlights, many of which are listed below. Even if some of the highlights are not within your budget, there are a number of affordable pieces so that you too can participate in this sale and own a part of this soon to be legendary collection!
Note: These online events will have extended browsing & bidding time and we will continue to offer an extended 90-day layaway option. Sunday Internet Auction #1043 will begin closing at 8pm EST on Sunday, December 16th with the DLRC exclusive extending bidding option if a bid is placed in the last three minutes.
Some of the more interesting highlights from this week's sale include:
- 1793 1/2c PCGS MS62 BN (Cohen 3)
- 1804 1/2c PCGS MS63 BN (C-13, Plain 4, No Stems)
- 1831 1/2c PCGS/CAC Proof 65 BN (Restrike, Reverse 1836, Large Berries)
- 1833 1/2c PCGS Proof 64 BN
- 1842 1/2c PCGS/CAC Proof 66 BN (Restrike)
- 1800 1c PCGS AU55 (S-197)
- 1864-L 1c PCGS MS65 RD (L on Ribbon)
- 1887 1c PCGS MS66 RD
- 1894/1894 1c PCGS MS64 RD (Doubled Date)
- 1860 1c PCGS Proof 66
- 1864 1c PCGS Proof 66 CAM (Copper Nickel)
- 1872 2c PCGS/CAC MS65 BN
- 1837 H10c PCGS MS67 (No Stars, Small Date)
- 1820 10c PCGS/CAC AU58 (Large 0)
- 1871-CC 10c PCGS AU53
- 1874 10c PCGS Proof 66 (Arrows)
- 1889 10c PCGS/CAC Proof 67+ CAM
- 1893 10c PCGS MS67
- 1916 Mercury 10c NGC MS68 FB
- 1838 25c PCGS/CAC MS64+ (No Drapery)
- 1853 25c PCGS/CAC MS64+ (Arrows & Rays)
- 1901-S 25c PCGS/CAC MS65 (OGH)
- 1895 25c PCGS/CAC Proof 68
- 1896 25c PCGS/CAC Proof 68 DCAM
- 1794 50c PCGS F15
- 1796 50c PCGS F12 (15 Stars)
- 1806/5 50c PCGS AU53
- 1819/8 50c PCGS/CAC MS63 (Large 9)
- 1873-CC 50c NGC MS62 (Arrows)
- 1901-S 50c PCGS MS65+
- 1883 Trade$ PCGS/CAC Proof 65 CAM
- 1903-O $1 PCGS MS65 DMPL
- 1881 $1 PCGS Proof 66
- 1860-D G$1 PCGS/CAC AU50
- 1824/1 2 1/2 PCGS AU58
- 1838-C 2 1/2 PCGS XF45
- 1839 2 1/2 PCGS MS61
- 1859 2 1/2 PCGS MS63 (Old Reverse)
- 1900 $2 1/2 PCGS Proof 66 DCAM
- 1901 $2 1/2 PCGS/CAC Proof 67 DCAM
- 1911-D 2 1/2 PCGS MS64 (Strong D)
- 1913 $2 1/2 PCGS/CAC Proof 64
- 1875 $3 PCGS Proof 64 CAM
- 1809/8 $5 PCGS/CAC MS64+
- 1810 $5 PCGS MS63 (Large Date, Large 5)
- 1854-O $5 PCGS/CAC AU58
- 1871-CC $5 PCGS XF40
- 1872-CC $5 PCGS/CAC XF45
- 1882-CC $5 PCGS AU58
- 1861 $5 NGC Proof 64 CAM
- 1916-S $5 PCGS/CAC MS63
- 1801 $10 PCGS MS62
- 1908-D $10 PCGS MS64 (No Motto)
- 1908-S $10 PCGS MS62
- 1850 $20 PCGS MS63
- 1852-O $20 PCGS MS61
- 1913-S $20 PCGS/CAC MS64
- 1924 $20 PCGS MS67
- 1927 $20 PCGS MS67
- 1929 $20 PCGS/CAC MS63
Our first highlight is an 1809/8 $5 PCGS/CAC MS64+. The 1809/8 is the only major issue of this year as all 1809's are overdates. There are only 33,875 coins struck of its issue.
This week's second highlight is an 1875 $3 PCGS Proof 64 CAM. Only 20 pieces Struck! This coin is a true rarity in a series that is nearly impossible to collect. No circulation strikes of this date were produced, making it a proof only issue. Smooth orange-gold surfaces with a hint of rose, this piece is truly an underrated numismatic rarity for the advanced collector.
Our third highlight is a 1929 $20 PCGS/CAC MS63. The majority of the 1929 issues were melted in the 1930s with the rest of the later date Saints. An exceedingly difficult year to locate, this piece exhibits impeccable luster and nice eye appeal, and is CAC approved for quality.
This final auction highlight is an 1861 $5 NGC Proof 64 CAM. An incredibly rare Civil War Proof of which only three or four pieces are known to be in public or private hands. The fields are lightly hairlined, but deeply contrasting to the devices for the true cameo effect. An exceedingly rare offering with amazing eye appeal.
Of course there are many other highlights, so be sure to browse all lots in this exciting new sale before it closes on Sunday, December 16th.
If you have any questions about coins in our auctions, or items for direct purchase, please call us at 800-776-0560, or send an email and we will get back to you immediately.
Thanks for browsing our inventory and participating in our auction!
The David Lawrence Numismatic Team